New Student Orientation reservations will open on Tuesday, April 11 at 10 a.m. EST.
Parents, family members and student supporters are critical in the success of their student’s transition to UNC Charlotte. New Student Orientation’s (NSO) family track is designed to introduce families to information and resources that will allow you to be the best support system for your student.
While NSO is not mandatory for family members, you are highly encouraged to participate as the program offers a wealth of information. While family member participation is not mandatory, student attendance is mandatory. The student and family schedules include separate and combined sessions throughout the day.
To participate in the program, students should add their family members to their NSO reservation in their Future 49er Portal. Family members will be emailed more information on their orientation experience after being added to their student’s reservation.
Family Track Overview
NSO offers families a robust program that includes mirrored elements to the student experience. Continue reading for a brief overview of the family track. Additional information will be sent via email to family members included on their student's NSO reservation.
On your student's reserved NSO date, family members will visit campus to engage in interactive experiences. Check-in for NSO will begin at 7:30 a.m. and the day will conclude at 5 p.m. The in-person sessions will focus on the three tenets of the Charlotte Model for Student Success:
- Academics: Students will hear about their academic college expectations and how to be a successful student.
- Belonging: Students will meet with student leaders (Orientation Counselors) and their peers, as well as learn about a variety of campus resources.
- Competence: Students will understand the business of being a student and their financial responsibilities on campus.
Family members are encouraged to attend the full program, but not required. However, students' full participation in NSO is required. Should students miss any portion of the program, they will be required to attend another session or risk having their New Student Orientation Hold placed back on their account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it okay if my student doesn't have their immunization documents in time for New Student Orientation?
What if my student doesn't have their final transcripts by the time they register? Will they still be able to register?
There are a few reasons that your student may have a hold on your account.
- New Student Orientation Hold: This hold will be released within 24 hours of the completion of their New Student Modules.
- Advising Hold: After completing their New Student Modules, your student must complete virtual advising with their academic college to lift the Advising Hold. More information will be available in their modules.
- Undergraduate Admissions (UA) Hold: If your student has this hold, they may need to submit additional documentation required by the University. Questions about UA holds can be directed to email@example.com.
If your student is having trouble logging in to Canvas, please make sure that they are logging in using their UNC Charlotte NinerNET login and password.
If your student is having any issues with the Canvas system, please see the Canvas Support Page through OneIT.If your student is having problems with their New Student Modules, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with information on what challenges they are experiencing.